Forty Winks Guide to Buying a New Pillow
|When you consider that the average person will spend approximately one third of their life asleep, having a comfortable and good quality pillow is important. Pillow choice is a very personal thing and with so much choice available, buying a pillow isn't that simple.
There are pillows for people who sleep on their back, rounded pillows for stomach sleepers, pillows that claim to stop snoring and even special pillows to support pregnant bellies.
The wide range can make it hard to choose, but take the time to educate yourself and shop for something that suits you. After all, you'll be reminded of your choice every night.
For synthetic and feather down pillows you can also try the fold test to see if your pillow might need replacing:
• Put your pillow on a reasonably flat surface and fold it in half.
• If the pillow bounces back into its original shape, your pillow is in top form.
• If the pillow doesn’t spring back into shape, it's probably time to buy a new one.
It pays to consider a few issues before you go out to buy yourself a new pillow:
• How do you sleep and what position do you prefer? Do you like to curl up on your side, sleep on your stomach or crash out on your back?
• Are you a tosser and turner or do you sleep like a log?
• Consider your size: do you have a large frame? Are you small or somewhere in the middle?
• If you're sharing your bed with a partner don't forget to take their sleep position preferences and body shape into consideration too. Different pillow styles suit different people, so it's smart to make sure you both shop for your own pillows to get one for
your individual needs.
• If you sleep on your stomach or have a small build, a low, soft pillow is best. This is also suitable for children.
• If you sleep on your back a medium to firm pillow with a medium profile is the best.
• If you sleep on your side mostly or have a bigger body frame, a firm to extra-firm pillow may suit you better.
To get the most out of your pillows follow these simple steps:
• Give your pillow a good shake and fluff it up every day. Try to air it out in the sun and fresh air on a regular basis. This will help kill any dust mites, keep it fresh and clean.
• Consider buying a pillow protector - they're quite cheap and are available in most home bedding shops. A protector keeps your pillow dry and away from moisture or oils,
and will also keep it from staining. You can easily wash a pillow protector, which helps keep your pillow clean and fresh.
• Polyester and some latex pillows can be popped in the wash to keep them really clean, but not all pillows are machine-washable, so check the labels first.
• The National Asthma Council of Australia (NAC) doesn't recommend any specific type of pillow for sufferers of asthma or allergies.
• However, it does suggest that you cover your pillow (and your mattress and quilt) with a specially designed dust-resistant cover. These covers completely encase the pillow to reduce any contact with dust mites, and can also be washed.
• NAC recommends washing the dust-resistant covers at least every two months to keep any problems at bay.
• A pillow, such as one with a polyester fill, that can be machine-washed in hot water (more than 55ºC) to kill dust mites and wash away any allergens might be of benefit.
• The Australian Physiotherapy Association says while there are many kinds of pillows on the market claiming to be best for tender necks and backs, there's very little scientific evidence available to back up these claims.
• Most people's body shapes and preferences differ, the best thing you can do is seek advice from a physiotherapist about what you should rest your head on.
• However, the general rule of thumb if you're looking for a new pillow is to find something not too high and not too hard. Ideally your spine should be in a straight line when you're lying down with your head on the pillow.
Premium memory foam high profile pillow
Premium memory foam medium profile pillow
Premium memory foam low profile pillow
|Premium memory foam contoured profile pillow
• Ideal for back sleepers and medium framed adults
• Premium quality memory foam for the ultimate in personal support and comfort
• Moulds to the shape of your head and neck for correct spinal alignment
• Provides support allowing neck and shoulder muscles to relax
• Superb durability, comfort and long lasting support
• Guaranteed to restore to original shape for 10 years
|10 Year Guarantee
Superb durability, comfort & support - guaranteed to retain shape for 10 years against faulty materials and workmanship.
|Suitable for allergy sufferers
Treated filling inhibits bacteria, mould, mildew and dust mites.
|Machine washable cover
Sumptuous soft velour cover easily removes for machine washing.
Tempur - The Original Pillow
The Original Pillow was developed together with physiotherapists to ensure that it moulds perfectly around your neck and head, giving great support and relief to the neck and shoulder muscles.
Tempur - The Comfort Pillow - 75 x 40 cm
AH Beard have developed a new range of pillows designed to ensure a comfortable night's sleep from head to toe. The new pillow range is made from natural latex and provides contouring support to your head and neck for a superior night's sleep.
If you like our mattresses...you'll love our pillows!
High Quality Talalay Latex
Self Adjusting Zoned Design
Extra Neck and Shoulder Support
BONUS Temperature Regulating Cover
Three Year Guarantee
Quality Talalay Latex
Luxurious Velour Cover
Pre-compressed Factory Fresh
Three Year Guarantee
Authentic Talalay Latex
Dust-Mite Allergy Resistant
Three Year Guarantee
'See, Touch and Feel' our bedroom furniture range at any one of our 90 stores nationwide. (NB: Products may vary from store to store)
Buying at Forty Winks is always your Best Choice for Bedding
As Australia's largest specialist bedding retailer, Forty Winks brings you the most comprehensive range of leading brand beds and mattresses available anywhere ~ giving you every opportunity to 'test out the best' and find 'the one' that feels just right. Our incredibly keen prices always offer you genuine savings ~ and for added comfort, the outstanding product knowledge of our professional 'on-floor' consultants further ensures that you are always in a position to make the most informed bedding decision possible.
Take a look at Forty Winks' full range of products and information including:
• Bedroom Furniture
• Children's and Kids Furniture
• Latex Bedding Information
• Bed Buying Guide - King Size, Queen Size and Single
• Managing Partner Disturbance
• Back Care and support
Important Advice ~ When shopping for a bedroom furniture set at any Forty Winks store, it's always wise to bring along your room measurements and a digital photo of your bedroom layout. It will allow our professional 'on floor' consultants to better visualise where your windows and doors are situated; offer you better informed suggestions on décor solutions; and ensure that all the pieces needed to create the look and storage space you're after will fit in perfectly ~ and never feel cramped or cluttered.