The room canvas
We hate to say it, but try to keep it simple and masculine. We are not trying to put something into a gender generalisation box here. Boys can like pink, fantastic if they do, but the advice still stands of keeping it simple. In our teen years we are still developing who we are and what we like. By keeping it simple and clean we are giving them a place they can grow and add things to that over time will help them develop their own style.
A drawer bed takes up wasted space with storage.
Fitting the bones
Woods are great. They offer a variety different stains and textures, from hard woods to veneers there is pretty much anything for any budget. Woods can take a pretty good beating and offer sturdy construction.
Keep bed linen, quilt covers and accessories pretty simple. Simple colours, geometric designs will suit any room. But more importantly put this all on a good mattress! Boys grow the most and fastest in their teens. Their bodies and bones need good support, especially if you want them to be an elite athlete that support you in your early retirement!.
Top 5 tips:
- Don’t try to style the room based on what the rest of the house looks like
- Under bed storage are great for keeping bulky sports stuff
- A desk will encourage homework to be done
- Keep linen so simple designs, geometrics, stripes etc
- If you have a tall boy go for a Single long or King single. A double is great if there is room